Finding the courage

The new year is here and I am currently struggling with an idea and trying to drum up some courage.  I have told a few people of a plan I have been brewing in the back of my head to do a big ride in the summer.  Something like 500 miles over 7 days.  I intend to raise money for the PKD foundation, a charitable foundation representing the disease I have: Polycystic Kidney Disease.  Right now, it is a real struggle.  Tonight I started doing some research into planning the trip, and what it would take to represent PKD on the ride.  I segued into some personal PKD stories, and now am a little on the sad side:  I realize I haven't even admitted to myself I have the disease.  You see, I read a few things tonight about some of the bad possibilities.  I feel so close to backing down cause I feel like I can't even deal with it.   I've shielded myself from that by only acknowledging the best possible outcomes.  I pray now: God please give me courage.  Help me start this thing off and not back down.

Comments :

2 comments to “Finding the courage”
April said...
on 

Do the bike ride! Don't let fear get in the way of doing the things you want to do. You're a fighter!! This is going to be a great 2011! I can't wait to see those pictures of the bike ride.
Much Love,
~April

Harvey said...
on 

Tim...I have PKD. After my transplant in 2007 I started the nonprofit organization the Living Kidney Donors Network. www.lkdn.org

5 months after my transplant I competed in my first triathlon.

I'd welcome discussing your bike ride idea in more detail.

Harvey
harvey@lkdn.org

Post a Comment